you are Australia’s head of state and you are the Supreme Governor of The Church of England.
I tried theologically to make friends with Anglicans in Melbourne this year. I failed.
An Anglican indigenous leader from New South Wales was falsely described as part of Victorian Wurundjeri language group on his own website. It took me months to get the man to correct the mistake. Ironically this man prides himself on the importance of getting local knowledge right. Sometimes this makes him very wise. But why was it that he could not and cannot respect my attempts to correct his own mistake about his own origins?
He told me that for him aboriginal people should get sovereignty over all of Australia. 3% of the people to rule over the other 97% ?
When I told him I might be 1/16th aboriginal he told me that I had to be all or nothing. I tried to be his friend and engage with his culture
When I was angry because police attacked me in front of the church where this man has been canonised, he and that church’s dean laughed at me. Maybe it was embarassed, nervous laughter in a difficult situation. Maybe not.
The Anglican Church has spat out my attempts at friendship.
Am I better off?
Perhaps I need to move away from them/you towards our God.
Geoff Fox, 31st December, 2022, Terra Nullius